Accept the invitation to enroll in the “Madera/Oakhurst Online Tutoring” course in Canvas
- Enroll here
- You may also be sent this invitation to your SCCCD district e-mail and/or it may be sent to you directly by your instructor
- Join the course by clicking (+ Enroll).
- You should see a new course in Dashboard or in Courses
- Go to the menu item labeled Home.
You have three (3) choices for online tutoring:
- Drop-in Tutoring – for the content of the course – Madera Tutors
- Writing Tutoring – all writing related assignments for any class – Madera Tutors
- SmartThinking Tutoring – support for various classes – SmartThinking Tutors
- Click on “Online Tutoring”
- You will see a Google sheet that lists classes, tutor names, location, tutoring times, and the tutors’ email address
- Email the tutor (from Madera or Oakhurst) and the tutor will respond and negotiate a time a tutoring time.
WRITING ONLINE TUTORING
- Click on “Reading and Writing Center” for essays, brainstorming, citations, and anything related to your writing assignment (in any class).
- Click on “HERE” for Writing Tutoring.
- Fill out the feedback form after you click on the hyperlink called “THIS FORM”
- Attach your Word document or PDF (essay, first draft, outline, or a prompt) in this format:
"Last Name, First Name - Student ID# - Draft Number - Course" -- ex. "Jones, John - 0123456 - Draft #2 - ENGL 1A.pdf"
- You have two choices for receiving feedback:
- Synchronous RWC tutoring - Work in real time with an RWC tutor. Click on the “Conferences” menu tab in the “Madera/Oakhurst Online Tutoring” course.
- Asynchronous RWC tutoring - Receive feedback on your prompt, essay, works cited page or anything related to your writing assignment within 48-72 hours. Tutors will provide written feedback and provide supplemental handouts.
Contact firstname.lastname@example.org for more information.
SMARTTHINKING ONLINE TUTORING
- Click on “SmartThinking Online Tutoring”
- Click on “Work with a Tutor or Career Coach”
- At the top of the page choose between “Drop-in Session” or “Schedule a Future Session” or “Ask a Question”
- At the bottom of the page choose your discipline. (We encourage you to use the Madera Community College Reading and writing tutors rather than SmartThinking writing tutors.)
- Continue to follow the steps until you see an online tutoring platform … follow the prompts until a tutor shows up to help you.
Writing tutoring: Matthew Kenerly
All other tutoring questions: Samuel Contreras or Ray Sanchez